Thursday, March 20, 2008

is this really happening???

I know I'm not the world's greatest blogger, but I can't believe it has been nearly a month since my last post.  I thought things were bad then...they're worse now.  Families continue to wait and wait for I600 approval.  Now USCIS is sending awful and offensive letters to families saying that the Vietnamese officials in certain provinces and hospitals are not cooperating with the investigations so the investigations may result in denials.  I was the unlucky recipient of one of these letters Sunday night.  My agency gave folks a head's up that it was coming last Thursday morning and frankly, I've been a mess ever since.

I was trying to be zen and patient since I'm not at 60 days yet, but now I'm pissed.  This is not OK.  They can't treat us and our children like this.  So, what's a girl to do?  I started by writing letters to Senator Boxer, Senator Feinstein and Congressman Waxman.  I actually received a call from Waxman's office today but I just don't think they see things the way the adoptive parents do.  They seem to be buying everything USCIS is telling them so I don't know how much help they'll be.  They are, however, going to make an inquiry on my case so maybe they'll learn something I don't know.

Things at work are getting stressful.  I thought I'd be leaving in February or March.  Well, that didn't happen.  I truly have no idea when my approval will come through, or even if it will.  So trying to plan anything at work is extremely difficult.  Today I made the decision to plan meetings on April 16th and May 10th.  It sucked to come to the realization that I will probably still be at work for both of these meetings.

There is some good news, but not much.  Several families with my agency that have been waiting since November received approval this week.  This news made me very happy!  They will be holding their children any day now.  I received a few more pictures of Sadie that were taken when my agency director was there visiting.  She's just such a doll!  She's getting bigger and she looks really healthy. I also got a 2 1/2 minute video.  Unfortunately, she still is not smiling or laughing in any of the pictures or the video.  My agency director and the nannies were trying so hard to get her to smile in the video and she just wouldn't.  She's such a serious little girl.  It breaks my heart. 

Adoptive parents are banding together to see what they can do to end the delays and bring our children home.  There's a website where you can read all about the current situation and actions that are being taken.  The site is Bring Our Children Home.  If you haven't already visited the site, please do and be sure to sign their petition.  After you enter your name and email address it will ask for a donation, but donations go to ipetitions, not to the cause.  Donations are not required to sign the petition.

It's getting harder and harder to stay positive these days.  The slightest things sets me off and I just start crying.  I had a nightmare about my adoption last week that it still too painful to even think about.  In spite of everything, however, I still wake up every morning and check my email with a glimmer of hope that the good news will be there waiting for me. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. It is so frustrating to feel like your own government is working against you rather than for you! I hope you hear good news soon.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you got the letter, too. I'm so sorry. At some point this has got to get better. I think (or hope).

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. Sadie's coming home. Hugs xx

AllisonEvan said...

Sadie is a lucky girl and I BELIVE that she will come home soon and you will get the good news we are all praying for. I am glad you are planning those meetings and getting them over with. The good news is that they will be off your list and if you are so lucky to get the good news well then....they will just have to figure it out! (Besides worry about that then and that will be a good problem to have!)