Tuesday, July 8, 2008

best day ever!

What a day!  I went to sleep at 8:30pm last night and requested a 6:30am wake up call.  Around 5am, I woke up and just tossed and turned until 6:30am.  I jumped out of bed when the phone rang and got in the shower.  Around 7:30am we went downstairs for breakfast.  I have to take a minute to discuss the breakfast buffet.  Amazing!  They had pho, an omelette station, waffles and pancakes, tons of fresh fruit, pastries, some Asian dishes, bacon, hash browns and more.  Everything was great!  We were supposed to be in the lobby to meet my agency rep at 8:30am.  We grabbed all the donations and gifts and were waiting by 8:25am.  We were in the car just after 8:30am and on our way to another hotel to get a family who picked up their daughter (whose name also happens to be Sadie!) yesterday.  They were going to come with us to pick up my girl and then we were both going to have our G&Rs together. 

The traffic here is insane.  Motor scooters everywhere and no street lights or stop signs.  The intersections are somewhat controlled chaos.  We finally arrived at the orphanage but were stuck in awful traffic and couldn't pull in to the driveway.  Finally, we pulled in and got out of the car.  I turned around and saw a lady sitting with Sadie on her lap.  Clearly they were waiting for us.  From the way things went right after that, I'd say we were late.  They handed Sadie to me while my folks were still getting out of the car.  I started crying as soon as I saw her.  She is so pretty!  The nannies watched and talked to her while I held her.  When she would reach an arm towards them, they would put it on my chest and say "Mommy."  Shortly thereafter, I could see they were crying.  It was very clear that they loved her very much.  She didn't make a sound.  Just let me hold her and looked around.  We took a few pictures then I was asked to give the donations and gifts to the director.  Next thing I knew, we were getting back in the car to go to the G&R.  I didn't get the chance to look around at all, let alone get pictures of the other babies.  They said I could come back later in the week, but I'm trying to decide if that would be too hard on Sadie.  We were given a copy of her daily schedule (in Vietnamese) and two bottles (one with formula and one with water) and off we went.

So back in the car to the government building.  Sadie cried out a couple of times in the car, but I held her close and she stopped pretty quickly.  We learned right away that she is a thumb sucker which is fine with me.  Whatever helps her!  When we arrived, we were asked to have a seat.  We only waited a few minutes and then were called behind the counter.  There was a desk and chairs and I was asked to sit down.  My folks took pictures and video during this process.  Basically, I just signed a few forms, the director of the orphanage thanked and congratulated me and it was picture time in front of the famous green curtain.  Here I am signing the adoption papers.


The other couple went after me and then we were done.  We took a couple of group photos in front of the building and piled back into the car.  Next stop, the Immigration Office to apply for her passport.  The Immigration Office was packed.  I was told to hand Sadie off to my mom (which made grandma very happy) and then we went to get a number.  There were more than 100 people ahead of us!  Thankfully, things moved pretty quickly.  When my number was called, I went up to the window, gave them my paperwork and passport and they looked everything over.  There was a minor mistake on my paperwork but my agency rep was able to fix it right there.  We paid extra to have the passport expedited and will return tomorrow around 4:30pm to pick it up. 

After that we were able to come back to the hotel for a couple of hours.  Sadie just sat on the bed and looked around.  I gave her couple of toys and she just held one of them (the rings Alex & Jack gave her !) in her hand.  I tried to give her some of the formula that the orphanage gave us, but I couldn't get her to take her thumb out of her mouth to drink.  I figured if she was hungry, she'd take it out.  I didn't have any rice cereal (or anything else for that matter) to give her because we wanted to keep her on what she was eating and drinking in the orphanage.  We weren't going to be able to get out to the store until later.  I was worried she was hungry, but she really just seemed to be in shock. 

At 2pm we met another agency rep in the lobby to go get the kids' medical exams.  We drove to a very, very old hospital that has a Visa Department where people go for physicals before they can get their visas.  We waited a very short time and then went in to see the nurse.  She just checked that Sadie was the baby in the picture on her paperwork.  She tried to get her thumb out of her mouth, but Sadie would pop it right back in.  When we were done with the nurse we went back out to wait.  I was starting to get worried that it had been so long since Sadie had anything to eat or drink so I pulled out a bottle of apple juice that I brought with me.  She drank nearly the entire thing! 


Eventually we went in to see the doctor.  He told me that she was fully vaccinated and went over the medical records we received from the orphanage.  Then they measured her head circumference, weight and height.  Finally, she got a quick once over and they checked her heart.  He said she is on the very low end of the growth chart but with good nutrition, she should do fine. 

At this point we were done with our appointments for the day.  My agency rep agreed to take us to the store to buy formula, cereal and whatever else she needed.  Unfortunately, while we were on the way to drop off the other couple, Sadie started throwing up all the juice she had drunk.  I was ill-prepared for this in the car.  We aren't sure if she got car sick or if it was the heat or the stress but I wanted to just get her back to the room at that point.  So, I asked my folks to go to the store with the agency rep while I went back to the room. 

When Sadie and I got back to the room, I took off her wet clothes and decided to give her a mini bath in the sink.  She didn't cry at all, but she is a little big for the sink so it was tricky.  I washed her really quickly then got her in some clean clothes (she seems to be wearing 6-9 months) and a clean diaper.  She does not like being made to lay down.  Both times when I've changed her diaper and when the doctor tried to measure her height, she cried.  But as soon as I pick her up, she stops.  We played on the bed for a little while and looked out the window and then my folks arrived with the groceries.  We quickly mixed some rice cereal and she ate it all.  It was so cute.  She would barely open her mouth, then she would bite the spoon.  I haven't gotten a good look to see how many teeth are in there yet.


Around 5pm she fell asleep on my chest.  A short while later I put her in the crib and she's been asleep ever since.  It is now 12:15am!  She is a rollie pollie girl!  She tosses and turns like crazy but she is sleeping pretty soundly.  I have a feeling we're in for a very early morning!  Here's one last shot of my sleeping beauty.  I promise to post more pictures tomorrow.

sleeping lighter


Stephanie said...

Mazel tov, Grenda! I'm crying at my desk as I read your blog. Enjoy every secong with Sadie and I can't wait to meet her! -Steph

AllisonEvan said...

Sadie is such a beauty I LOVE the photo of her eating. She looks like a lil birdie eating up her cereal. You look so content and happy it brings tears to my eyes when I see you holding your DAUGHTER!!!
I bet you are just staring at her sleeping so cute in her crib.
I am sooooo happy for you!!!

Abby said...

Many Mazel Tovs to you Grenda & your precious daughter, Sadie! How amazing, I am crying at my desk right now -- brought tears to my eyes to see mother and daughter finally together as they belong. We cannot wait to meet her!!

Melissa said...

Grenda- This is so amazing! Mazel Tov. You two look beautiful together - Mother and Daughter. You have waited so long for this. All our love. Melissa

MisTish said...

I am sitting her at my desk crying right along with everyone else who loves you and Sadie so much! I've been on pins and needles all day to hear how it went! Sounds like she has officially initiated you with the puking in the car! Who needs a G&R Ceremony! REAL MOMS GET PUKED ON!!!! LOL
Can't wait to hear more and see more. Give her hugs and kisses from her Auntie Tish and the girls!

The Gregs said...

She is unbelievably beautiful. Amazing.

wendy said...

Congratulations! You finally have her. I'm so excited for you! My mom and I are checking your blog every day and are having fun with you on your journey.

Sharon said...

I was finally able to wipe away enough tears to get a good look at your little beauty. What wonderful soul medicine she is on this early morning!

Thank you so much for taking time to document all this. This is the first time I have really gotten a good idea of exactly what happens. And poor mommy and baby on the last car ride home . . . I bet the combo of everything was the culprit. Can't wait to read more on the adventures of Sadie!!

Amy Brox said...

Our tears of sadness from waiting have given way to tears of joy for you and Sadie. We are sending you warm wishes for a bright future together!

Andrea said...

Best. Day. Ever. Indeed.

I'm so happy for you and little Sadie (and Bailey - always partial to the kitties!)

Thank you so much for sending along all the detail - makes me feel like I was there (minus the puke!) :)


Marley said...

wow, grenda! i can't believe this finally happened. i am so thrilled for you - and can't wait to meet my new little neighbor!
love, marley