Sunday, June 22, 2008

100th post

One hundred posts and still no daughter at home to show for it.  Unbelievable.  I started this blog as an adoption journal and it seems to have turned into a sad, whiny bitch-fest.  How sad. 

It's been quite an emotional few days.  I never thought that the baby bird story would end so badly.  I think there is a very good chance that the spider stung or bit baby bird.  She seemed to take a very bad turn right after that incident.  It hit me really hard and now I have one less thing to distract me.

Not much new going on here.  The baby proofer came out on Friday and put latches on all the drawers, cabinets and closets.  He also put in the toilet locks and a gate at the top of the stairs.  I still have a lot of work to do in terms of moving breakables up high and covering the corners of my coffee table and tv stand, but I've still got time.  One funny thing....I basically followed the baby proofer around while he did the work.  Not because I didn't trust him, he just kept talking to me so I had to follow him to continue our conversation.  Well, when he was done, I walked him to the door, shut the door behind him, walked into the kitchen and yanked open a cabinet.  Duh!  Someone was just here for 2 hours locking all the cabinets.  What was I thinking?  Clearly, the latches are going to take some getting used to. 

Saturday was a good day, with the exception of the sweltering heat.  Good grief it is hot!  I went to a lecture in the morning hosted by my home study agency.  They had the medical director of the Stramski Center at Miller Children’s Hospital.  Dr. Feldman spoke about internationally adopted children and possible medical, behavioral and developmental issues.  It was really interesting.  And I have to add, he was not bad to look at.  Especially with his South African accent (I'm a sucker for an accent).  The Center provides pre and post adoption assessments.  I'm seriously considering taking Sadie there shortly after we get home for a physical exam, lab tests and behavioral and developmental assessments.  I'm just not sure her pediatrician will know all the things to look for. 

After the lecture I did a little shopping for me and then went home to rest and cool down.  A little while later I picked up Y and we went to a work event.  This was a fun work event though....no work involved.  After the event we went back to Y's house for about 5 hours of Rock Band.  I have to say that we are getting really good!  Songs that used to scare the crap out of us and kick our butts, are now a breeze.  It's amazing how fast the time flies when we are playing.  It's always a good time. 

Today I stayed in and finished the final assignment and first exam for my online Early Childhood Education class.  The class is Infant and Toddler Studies.  This was the first week of class.  I'm taking the class for a few different reasons, and so far, I really like it.  AND, I got 100% on all of my work so far.  Sweet!

Well, here it is, Sunday night.  It's officially a new week.  Who knows what is going to happen.  It's been a month since my last correspondence from USCIS.  Let's hope there are no more block letters coming.  They asked us to wait 30 days and I've waited.  Now what?  My agency has another conference call on Wednesday.  I'm going to try to stay positive until then.  They asked us to wait 2 weeks and I've waited.  Something has to happen soon.  It just has to! 

1 comment:

Sue and Mark said...

I know what you mean about the baby bird. We had one fall out of a nest, actually the nest fell first...poor thing. We have lots of birds fly into our windows too...it's so sad.
We are going to Dr. Feldman also. In fact we spoke with him just the other day. Nice guy.
Hope you hear something from USCIS soon! Thinking of you!