Monday, June 9, 2008

my latest obsession

You thought this was going to be another Rock Band post, huh?  Well, it's not.  Not that I don't LOVE Rock Band.  I do!  Y and I get together at least once a week and play until 2am.  But that's another story....

There is a tree in a pot right outside my front door.  A few weeks ago something caught my eye in the tree.  It was a hummingbird and it was on a nest. 

002

The next day I was able to get a peek inside while momma was away.  Here's what I found. 

003

Then the wait began.  Every time I walked by the tree, if momma was there, I talked to her.  "Still waiting, huh?  Me too," I'd say.  Then, a week ago, workers showed up in the morning to replace the fence between my building and the one next door.  When I got home from work that evening, the tree had been moved and totally turned around.  The nest was now completely exposed.  I freaked out.  I got up on a chair and peeked inside and saw a little black thing, and it was moving.  I couldn't make out that it was a bird, but of course it was.  I pushed the tree back the way it was and instantly, momma flew back on her nest.  The next morning I yelled (nicely) at the workers not to move the tree because there was a nest and a newly hatched baby bird.  I'm sure they were thinking, "Whatever you say crazy lady."  The rest of the week they didn't touch the tree.

Tonight when I got home from work I was peeking at the nest and a little butt poked out and pooped straight out into the air.  Thankfully, it missed me, but it sure was good for a laugh.  I then ran inside, got a chair and got this pic of my baby bird.  It actually looks like a bird now. 

008

I don't know what's gotten into me but I'm obsessed with the nest, momma and the baby bird.  I have talked to my folks and friends about it.  (I think they think I'm a little cuckoo.)  I've googled hummingbirds to see how long it takes an egg to hatch.  I don't want to know when baby will leave the nest....that will be a sad day.  I'm hoping momma will reuse the nest and this will be an ongoing process, but who knows. 

3 comments:

Andrea said...

OK - I'm as crazy as you are then! I would looooove to find a hummingbird nest. We have hummers that visit a feeder and our flowers around the garden, but we are surrounded by woodlands, so there are a million places for a tiny bird to nest. We've never found one.

I'm so glad you were able to get the tree back into place and that the workers listened to you. I have some stories of yelling (nicely) at workers and have gotten some unbelievable responses!

Please keep us posted - baby birds usually fledge and leave the nest much sooner than would seem possible.

And to think that these guys migrate such long distances - amazing!

James and Melissa said...

I love hummingbirds!! That is amazing. :)

Anonymous said...

Just catching up with your posts....

Much to say but I'm leaving a cyber hug instead xx

I love the birdie pics! I would be obsessed as you!