Wednesday, June 11, 2008


We had another agency conference call today.  Once again, no concrete information....nothing.  No one really knows what's happening with the Tu Du block.  It is so incredibly frustrating. 

Things at work are getting complicated again.  My life is essentially on hold while I wait for this friggin approval.  I don't know if I'll be here next month so everything is being put off - orientations, trainings, our award ceremony, mentor meetings, etc.  So far my boss has been supportive, but I don't know how long that is going to last.  Then, as if that stress weren't bad enough, I am not joking when I say that at least 10 people ask me EVERY DAY if I've heard anything.  Volunteers come up to me and say, "Oh you're still here," or "Have you gone and come back already?"  They don't seem to understand that when I go, I'll be gone for 3 months.  I know they mean well and it's very nice that they even care to ask, but sometimes it is so hard to keep from breaking down right then and there. 

One of my volunteers used to work for "the agency" (I think it was the FBI).  She has offered to contact some people for me, including the Ambassador to Korea, who she knows personally.  My agency wants us to wait things out for 2 weeks and see if leaving CIS alone, will result in them actually get things done.  Two more weeks certainly won't kill me, but it will put Sadie at 13 months old.  Why should she have to wait one day longer?

Then, there's the daycare issue.  I've been on the wait list for daycare at work since March 07.  An opening came up earlier this year that I had to decline since Sadie wasn't home yet.  Now another one is coming up in July and even if I were to leave today, I wouldn't need daycare in July.  Their next opening will be September.  I'm hoping that timing will work well, but if she's not home by September (this CAN'T happen), it will be months before there is another opening.  Daycare is extremely hard to come by here in L.A.  Places have year long wait lists.  What a mess.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I'm so sorry - I totally know how you feel living your life in limbo. Last August, I gave notice at work since we would likely travel in Sept/Oct. We went from expecting to go any day to feeling like we will never go now. Like you said, there are so many things that hang in the balance with all of this. Juggling commitments and plans and back up plans just adds more stress that we certainly don't need. I wish I could help...

By the way, thank goodness for the mute button on those conference calls so no one can hear me sobbing.

Sending virtual hugs.